Saturday 15 February 2020

Hi everyone,
Hope you guys are having a good time and enjoying creating new things.
It's particularly sunny and hot in the northern parts of India this time of the year and hence I decided to make something soothing to the eyes in pretty pastels. I have made a mixed media 3D assemblage on a Burlap Panel.
                                 
Step 1: I used a stencil and 2 in 1 Modelling Paste on the burlap panel to make some random textures. As I was going for pastel shades, I decided to color the whole panel with white gesso .

Step 2 : Once this layer was dry, I decided to use some embossed cardstock and cotton twine to give more texture. I pasted these with heavy gel medium. After this, I used the Crackle Paste to add more interest to the panel.


Step 3 : Now it was time to build the composition. I pulled out various elements like MDF cogs, gears, screws, keys, washers, and nuts and all were painted with white gesso before I  pasted them to the panel. For my focal point, I chose a drawer knob which had quite an interesting shape.

Step 4 : I let the composition sit for sometime so that all the small elements (like the beads etc.) were adhered properly to the the panel. As I was aiming for muted shades, I decided to give the panel a wash of oil color. This helps to highlight all the details as the oil color flows into the depths. I applied a coat of diluted brown color and then with a soft cloth wiped out the excess color. Once I was happy with the depth achieved, I left the residue color to dry for two days. If the colours are not allowed to dry properly,  the sprays would not work on it.

Once I was happy with this wash,  I chose only three colors, black, green and brown to add a touch of brightness. I sprayed the colors and took off the excess with a tissue paper. Do this a couple of times, till you achieve the colors you desire. This is building up of colors and takes some time so be patient and continue doing it.

                                                 The Final Look






It was great fun creating this piece for you. I hope you too will give it a try.
Thanks and happy crafting!
List of supplies used:

Best Regards,
Ruchi

No comments:

Post a Comment